Many people struggle with the delicate topic of Work/Life Balance.
There is the camp that say, “You can have it all! You can do and have anything you want. You can make the time and have the energy for it all.” And there are others that say, “You can never have it all. When you are putting your focus on one thing, something else gets neglected. You can never have a completely balanced life.” Where are you on this spectrum? Do you subscribe to one of these camps or lay somewhere in between?
What I would like you to ponder today is “What does a balanced life look like to you?” Because your definition of feeling balanced, in control, on top of things, etc, may be much different from the next person.
Here are my 5 tips for creating more balance in your work and home life.
1. Get clear on what a balanced work/home life looks like to you. How does it feel? Do you feel calm and at ease and in control? Write it down. It’s different for everyone. Different if you have children or pets or you’re taking care of an older parent. Different in you’re single or have a partner. Different if you have a high stress career/job or not. For me, a balanced work/home life looks like this:
- Spending quality time with my daughter each week
- Spending quality time with my partner each week
- Spending quality time working in and on my business each week
- Exercising each week
- Eating healthy daily
- Practicing self-care daily
- Using my essential oils daily
2. What do you need to tweak in your life to feel more balanced? Do you need to remove, add, or re-prioritize things in your life to feel more harmony and balance in your life? For me, I re-prioritized some things in my life in order to feel more balanced. I also removed some things and added some new things. Here are 5 things I was able to do recently to create more balance in my life:
- Eliminate cable
- Schedule a workout into my calendar each day
- Shop at a local Coop each week to eat healthier foods
- Schedule self-care into my calendar each day
- Schedule time to work in and on my business each day
3. How do you handle the feeling of overwhelm? Many people feel out of balance in their life when they start to feel overwhelmed. Maybe they have too many things on their to-do list. Maybe something unexpected happens and they don’t know how to handle all of their daily tasks on top of the unexpected. In order to get out of overwhelm, you can break up your to-do list into chunks, and get a little done each day.
- Set an overarching goal for each month
- Set daily tasks to help you towards your goal, example 3 things to accomplish each day
- Be grateful for where you are and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t accomplish the 3 things
4. Practice Self-Care. I talk a lot about self-care. It’s so important to take care of yourself first before taking care of others. I like the analogy to “Give from the Saucer”. Picture a teacup sitting on top of a saucer. You pour yourself a cup of tea, and you keep pouring until some tea runs over the cup and spills into the saucer. The tea in the cup is for you. What’s spilled over into the saucer is for you to give to others. Fill your cup first and then give from the saucer.
Photo from Tony Dye’s Point of View
5. What lights your spark? What are you passionate about? Make sure you are spending time doing those things that you love. One thing that I am super passionate about is my essential oils. They help bring more balance into my life. I use them when I am stressed and feeling anxious and they help calm me and bring me back into alignment. Some of the other things I do to help bring balance into my life are: listening to music, meditating, and practicing yoga. Find out what it is in your life that brings you back to center and practice it often.
Now it’s your turn to tell me what you do in your life to create more balance. Do you have any tips or tricks that work for you to feel that sense of calm between your work and home life? What do you do to get out of overwhelm? Leave a comment on this post below. I’d love to hear from you!
If you would like to work with me one-on-one to help bring more balance into your life, please contact me. I’d love to work with you to create the balance that you are craving.
Have a blessed and balanced July!